Subject: FLASH: Buttons, Movie Clips and Tell Target
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:07:25 +0100

Hi Christian,

> I thought I read somewhere that tell target would work as a frame action
> in the Over state of a button.
> It doesn't seem to though...

Buttons and Movie Clips

Buttons can control Movie Clips that are on the Main Timeline or Nested
in other Movie Clips that are on a Main timeline. You use Tell Target in
the Action Section of the Button's Instance Properties to control Movie
Clips.

Movie Clips can be placed in an Up, Over or Down button frame but the
Movie Clip will only be active during the active time of that Button
State.

A Movie Clip can only be controlled with Tell Target if it has an
Instance Name and a named path to a Main Movie Timeline. Since Buttons
do not have Instance Names, Movie Clips placed in them can NOT be
controlled by Tell Target.