Subject: Re: FLASH: PUBLISH woes...
From: Russell E. Unger
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:01:34 +0100

In general, you are *ALL* (at MACR) missing the point.

How many times can I state it...and, for that matter, how clearly? Let me cut-and-paste for you:

Regardless of the intention or the
description of how to accomplish this, which I've already stated that I know how
to do and can do, the fact of the matter is that the pop-up window occurs when we
think we're developing an F3 .swf with the pre-generated HTML from F4. That's
still a pretty crappy thing to do to a developer and can cause a lot of
complaints at the expense of the collective "us". What does MACR gain? More F4
player downloads. Yippee! Now my clients and employers are pissed because I
didn't know of this to begin with because I installed the F4 player plugin when I
installed F4 (who wouldn't?).

I'm simply stating that it's

1) a pain in the arse

2) something that is counter-intuitive

3) a pain to a lot of Flashers, as a lot of them do not know HTML well enough to
understand the problem

4) borderline deceitful.

Deceitful may be a bit strong; this is no SW702, but it's a pretty
forceful/sneaky way to obtain an extra few downloads of the new player at the
hands of someone who wanted to start getting fluent with the F4 interface while
developing in F3 for their clients. I'd be hard-pressed to think that there was
not a little bit of foresite and snickering in a small conference room somewhere
about this one.

> Is your concern that you want to continue to provide Flash 3 content but are dissatisfied with the options we provide for this within Flash 4? As I said in my off list post to you, Flash 4 is optimized for delivery of Flash 4 content. We do provide ways of making Flash 3 content available, and we make it pretty easy to do so in my opinion (much easier than it would be if you kept using Aftershock or tried to code the HTML manually).

See my concerns? What is so hard about that? My concerns are pretty damn easy to read. The options, BASICALLY, are very nice. What SUCKS is that we get this whole "Flash 4 Upgrade" request when we develop for a lower version of Flash and the HTML has been generated by F4. I think it's rather obvious what the intentions of MACR when this occurred.

OF COURSE F4 is optimized for delivery of F4. UPS is optimized to deliver parcels in a brown truck. No kidding. Fact of the matter is, they will still deliver a letter in a big ol' manilla envelope if you request it. I have not disputed it's ease of use. It's terribly easy. Aftershock is a terrible little application that skates by, and just barely at that. What STILL SUCKS is that the F4 is being promoted because the default CABS
are all for version 4 which sets off a flag. A big flag to a client that's viewing something for the first time and especially to the Flash Developer who doesn't know what's going on. I already stated I know how to figure it out. I'm still standing by the fact that it's crappy.

> With the Publish function, you're able to create a default template that fits your needs. Both John and I have provided steps for doing so. What would you have us do differently in this case?

Read my posts. What's so difficult about that? I can get a good look at a T-Bone by . . .

If this is the way you are treating this situation, which I've been painfully clear on...how can we expect to have anyone receive any attention at all?

Oh, and I'm not the guy with the milk crates, either.

Russell E. Unger

SW702 has officially caused ZAX Communications to no longer offer Director Services. Thanks. I didn't need that stream of revenue.