Subject: Re: FLASH: exporting Flash images
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:21:24 +0100

Hi Karin,

> The person I am in contact with is asking the art director. All she
> could tell me is that they need 300 dpi and at least 3 inches in size.
As JD said pixels is what is important in bitmaps 300dpi x 3 inches is
900 pixels. It sounds like they are going to photograph the image (I
would check and see if this is correct) so the higher the resolution the
better. The 300 dpi is the minimum to get the clarity they want.

> The final image is only going to be about an inch.
The 3 inch 900 pixel image will be reduced 3 to 1 with a maximum
resolution of 900 dpi in the final image.

> I exported an > image from a frame position in the edit movie mode and > saved it as a jpg at a resolution of 300. Then I called that up in > photoshop and cropped out a small interesting portion.
You should export from Flash at a higher resolution 900 pixels or more
wide for the three inch image. Don't worry about how big it appears on
screen.

> I tried exporting as an Illustrator file but that looks terrible.
> I lost the alpha transparencys and other things.
This is not uncommon.

> I hope they can use the jpg. I'll know more tomorrow.
They may be able to use the JPEG but since it is a lossy format it is
not your best choice for the best quality. You should NOT convert to a
jpeg unless absolutely neccessary.
Export as a BMP, PICT or PNG file if they want a bitmap image.