Subject: Re: FLASH: exporting Flash images
From: Karin Christensen
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:40:05 +0100

Hi JD,
The person I am in contact with is asking the art director. All she
could tell me is that they need 300 dpi and at least 3 inches in size.
The final image is only going to be about an inch. I exported an
image from a frame position in the edit movie mode and saved it as a
jpg at a resolution of 300. Then I called that up in photoshop and
cropped out a small interesting portion. I tried exporting as an
Illustrator file but that looks terrible. I lost the alpha
transparencys and other things. I hope they can use the jpg. I'll
know more tomorrow.
Karin

>It may be best to confirm the format with the publisher. I'd suppose
>they're thinking of CMYK TIFFs, but they'd usually give you the pixel
>dimensions they prefer, rather than just the number of pixels per
inch.

>(Rephrased, the DPI itself doesn't convey as much information as the
number
>of pixels, the colorspace, the format, and any color correction that
needs
>to be done.)
>
>It's possible to export a still from Flash as curves, and this is
usually
>done in the least-common-denominator .AI format. But a publisher may
not
>want small packages of PostScript, whether encapsulated or not,
floating
>around in their (XPress?) files... they may actually prefer a
pixel-based
>image, as they told you.
>
>If you have to go out as pixels, then it's pretty easy to resize the
window
>in the browser so that it gives about as many pixels as you wish and
then
>do a screen capture... this assures that you'll render at the desired
>dimensions, and wouldn't have the CMYK shift that happens with
Illustrator