Subject: Re: FLASH: images quality
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:52:40 +0100

At 04:37 PM 8/26/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a problem with my movie in FLASH 3. I imported some BMP images in
>various formats, such as JPG, GIF or PNG. In FLASH they work great, but when
>I export the movie in Shockwave format those images become awful, in
>particular the ones with shades and smooth canvas.
>What can I do to encrease the quality of my images?
>Thank you in advance,
>Marco.

Hi Marco,

First, if working in Flash3 do not import JPG if you can help it. JPG is a
lossy compression format, meaning you lose data with every conversion
(import/export). Flash4 can retain original JPG compression and so is more
forgiving. You are safest using GIF, PNG, or PICT (Mac). Also, bitmaps are
best kept at 1:1 ratio, meaning if it's a 100x100 pixel image you import,
you should plan on that image taking up 100x100 pixels on the viewer's
screen. This means using absolute pixel size when specifying the movie size
in the HTML page, or, if creating a projector, using FS Command
AllowScale=False. If the image must be resized or scalable, it is always
better to reduce the size from the original, since bitmaps that are
expanded quickly become pixelated.

The HTML Quality setting ("high" for Flash3 or "best" for Flash3 or 4)
reduces "jaggies" when web-delivered Flash is animating quickly; I don't
believe that's your problem, although you did not really describe what is
"asful" about the appearance of your images.