Subject: FLASH: flash and loading variables from a text file
From: mick
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:20:41 +0100

greetings.

here's my code:

Load Variables ("ticker.txt", 0)
Set Variable: "/title:headline" = head
Begin Tell Target ("/title")
Go to and Play (2)
End Tell Target

ticker.txt contains: head=Giant Spider Monkeys Take Manhattan by
Storm!!!!

and if i were to put a Text Field in the base level associated with
variable "head" - it would display in the text box without fail. also,
if i Load Variable ("ticker.txt","/title") the Text Field associated
with variable "head" invariably does as it should.

however, and here's where i'm hoping someone will be able to offer me
assistance. i can not load "head" from ticker.txt and then use it as a
variable to do any of the fun things we like to do with variables. in
the example above i'm trying to declare "/title:headline" to be the same
as "head" from ticker.txt, but alas! it stubbornly refuses.

other permutations of the same that fail to work

Set Variable: "/title:headline" = head
Set Variable: "/title:headline" = "head"
Set Variable: "/title:headline" = eval(head)

Trace(head)
Trace(eval(head))

this problem has had the better part of my brain for 3 solid hours now -
it's 3:08 am and i'm hoping that i've overlooked something so small that
it will make me want to slit my wrists when it's pointed out to me.

i'll be here 'til dawn likely, so if anyone out there is reading this
and can offer any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

--
mick szucs
onramp network services inc.