Subject: FLASH: Help with advanced targeting, if you please...
From: douglas stafford
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:14:31 +0100

So I am not sure if this is an okay way to build logic, and I am having
problems targeting. Here goes:

The only thing that I use "buttons" for is the "HIT"... I have a
generic square and a generic circle button in my library... both are
all clear keyframes on the up, over, and down... the hitstate has a
simple ungrouped graphic of a circle or a square.

When I need to make "buttons" I use an instance of this generic
hitstate in a movie clip.

For instance, to create a home button I make a movie clip with the
STATIC, OVER, and HIT labels and graphics seperated by stop actions.
The generic button takes you through them: the static instance is ON
ROLLOVER, GOTO AND PLAY OVER, the over instance is ON ROLLOUT GOTO AND
PLAY STATIC, ON PRESS GOTO AND PLAY HIT, the hit label has a frame
action that takes you where you need to go in the main movie with a
TELL TARGET ../GOTO AND PLAY FRAME 10.

This worked beautifully until...

I added a scene above the main movie scene for the purposes of a
pre-loader.

Now when the button hidden in the home clip is pressed it targets the
first scene (preloader) and plays frame 10 of that scene, rather than
frame 10 of my main movie scene. DOH!!!

Can I target a specific scene from a movie clip?

The way I worked around it is by targeting a hidden frame in the loader
that has an action boosting you back to the main movie (scene two) at
frame 10.

It works fine... but is there a better way?

Happy Flashing,