Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash Player 5 Beta
From: Peter Santangeli
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 07:15:57 +0100

Clearly there will be bugs with the beta - as I pointed out, there are
a couple we know of. One of the advantages of both the object and
embed tags is that you can specify a minimum version of the plugin
required. Those whose sites are not working will be able to specify
that their site requires the released player by specifying the minumum
version as that the released player ships with. Yes, there is some
exposure in the interim, but the release of the player will be
"real soon now".

This is obviously a balancing act for us. We have tried very hard
to make sure that the beta player was as stable as possible (there
were no *known* bugs with it when it shipped). The beta has
turned up a few, and we are in the process of fixing them.

I shudder to imagine the kind of feedback we would have received
from these same people complaining had we shipped the final version
of the player with these bugs (to over 2 million new downloaders a
day!).

Pete Santangeli