Subject: Re: FLASH: text effects tool needed
From: Tom Delancy
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 16:53:32 +0100

Darren:

SWfX is way beyond the capabilities of SWiSH. As you can see from their
website (http://www.wildswfx.com), it comes with 100 effects (about half are
Flash 4 and half are Flash 3). From the looks of it, they use a bunch of
different techniques in their effects, masks included.

But, it also comes with a tutorial on how to create your own "WildFX".
That's the name they gave to their effect specification. They also give you
some sample .FLAs to work with. Based on that, all you have to do is create
any animation you want in Flash for just one letter, export the SWF, and use
it in SWfX.

So, it way cooler than SWiSH because you can use it to speed up your own
effects creation. It doesn't try to compete with Flash like SWiSH does (with
layers, actions and timelines), but it gives you complete control over your
animation.

As I said yesterday, not only have I tried SWiSH, but I also tried
FlashKit's FlashTyper. But, that doesn't let you use your own fonts (with
SWfX, you can use any TrueType or ATM-handled font), and FlashTyper also
generates larger files than SWfX. Plus, FlashTyper runs waaaay slower than
SWfX. For $20, to me the advantages are clear.

I have to say, hands down, SWfX is the best alternative out there. (Anyone
out there from Wildform listening/taking note of my props?).

Tom Delancy
tom_delancy_9athotmail [dot] com

>I purchased SWfX. It's pretty rad. Great effects.
>
>But, the really cool thing is you can create your own effects in Flash and
>run it through SWfX. It's like macros. I had no idea this kind of thing was
>possible. I just saved about 2 days worth of work, for $20.

Please tell us more about this product. I currently have Swish and have used
it
on several occasions, but have been bothered by some of it's quirks.
(sometimes
it's hard to center an imported SWF as you don't know where the center is,
etc)

Also have you imported one of their effects, and some of the effects like
#41 on
the demo where they have stars or a blurry ball changing into text or
changing
the color of the text like a rainbow, are these masks??

Is this product more worthwile than swish?

Darren.