Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash 5/6 aka DirectFlash! Some suggestions
From: Branden Hall
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:35:49 +0100

Actually, that system does some just-plain-complex(tm) math... lots of fun
calculus stuff (integration via Euler's method), and I am kinda sloppy with
my floating points... I'm sure if I went in and did a few assembler-style
tricks to keep the code from ever using floats, it would speed up quite
nicely. The simple fact of the matter is that you have a 200K plugin that is
able to run some *serious* code pretty damn fast. More than likely, F5 took
a sort-of RISC approach to be able to do all it does with that little... in
other words, the F5 plugin is probably optimized up to wazoo for doing basic
operations, and have all complex operations exsist as combinations of the
basic ones. For example, when you export say, a square root call Flash
probably includes the math needed to do a newtons method to get the sqrt in
the SWF... Otherwise I don't see how in the hell the plugin is still so
damn small.

Anyhoo... you have to look at all of the factors involved with why flash is
what it is...
Besides that, I honestly do not see video coming to Flash for a while... it
would just bloat the plugin too much.. and once browsers get their act
together they should all be able to do what I can do in IE... put a
quicktime above my flash movie. Finally, as for JPG2000... I agree
totally... wavelets are the future!

-= Branden J. Hall
-= Senior Interactive Developer/Instructor
-= Fig Leaf Software - "We've got you covered!"