Subject: Re: FLASH: Opinions on Flash
From: Steve Howard
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:14:00 +0100

> "First off I have to tell you....while Flash may be cool all the
> webmaster people I know hate it. It is major-league frowned on.

So your friend has an aqcuaintance with the same short-sighted,
ill-informed, out of touch opinions.

> Why? #1
> You download Flash and you get spammed to death!!

Could this be confusion with the old Shockwave Player? Y'know that stupid
thing that let you save your favourite Shockwave files and replsy them?
Download the Shockwave player, and make the wrong choices, and you can be
overloaded with Spam to the tune of 3 or 4 posts a month ....... Ouch!

> #2-takes too long on a
> 56K modem. MOST PEOPLE still have 56K.

Most people do have 56k modems or slower. Which is why Flash is so great,
because you can get tremendous design and interactivity with the most minute
files.

> My advice? STAY AWAY FROM FLASH unless you make it an OPTION. Make it a
> place where those with T1s and DSLs can go if they so choose but DO NOT
> make it part of your site without the option.

Without an optional HTML option I suppose this means. Fair enough. But
accept the fact that the design, functionality and even speed of the HTML
page are all likely to be inferior to the Flash site. Anybody who is
influenced by your site's design will be put off if you use HTML only.

> TRUST ME!!! I get paid to do trendspotting and demography work. I KNOW
> THIS SHIT!!

Er, if this bit has to be shouted, then the writer might just have a notion
that she has no idea what what she's talking about.

> I have 3 programs that cost less then Flash that make gorgeous animation
> and loads quicker then Flash and requires NO downloading....

So these cheap programs beam the files to the users machine through some
high-tech radio system?

.

> Can you tell I am so anti FLASH???

I did detect a nuance.....

> Trust me, Rogue, bigtime artists and web people FROWN ON THIS!!! They
> prefer you do your art with the REAL deal.....PHOTOSHOP, PAINTER !!"

Never trust anybody who repeatedly tells you to trust them!

Steve

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list