Subject: Re: FLASH: The career switch?!?!
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:13:42 +0100

You should really build up a portfolio of stuff that is actually
in use somewhere. Your own personal work is great to
show, but businesses want to see that your work is
respected by others too. I see the catch 22... Maybe you
can try volunteering your skills to a local charity, or
freelancing a bit on the side (with dirt-cheap rates).
Whatever can build your portfolio will help, and with a
portfolio, your skills will get the respect they deserve.

Also, I wouldn't bother with certification, or even training. I
would probably not even buy a book. These things are all
wastes of time, in my opinion, for a person who can learn
on his/her own, and who knows how to use a search engine,
mailing lists, news groups, IRC, etc. I'm certain that you
won't find a book or class that has the depth or breadth of
knowledge (concerning Flash) that this mailing list does,
and it's just a small portion of the information available to
you on the internet.

Hope that helps....

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

> I'm currently in the technology field, but I'm on the
> wrong end of the field. I currently work as an Admin,
> but I want to get involved in Web Development. I've
> interviewed at a place that gave free training and in
> return you agreed to work for them at the jobs they
> placed you for six months. I agreed even though it
> was
> a pay cut from my current position, in order to attain
> some experience and eventually move to a better spot.
> However they said that since I have a technical
> background that this program was not right for me. I
> I don't get it?? I've shown samples of what I can do,
> but if it isn't with a url that's associated with a
> real business they do not want to see it. They're
> always (and I understand) are looking from someone
> that has production level experience.
> There in lies the rub!!
> No experience, no job, no job, no experience!
>
> I've finally decided to breakdown and pay for a
> certification at a college in the NYC area, but NYU is
> charging a 5 grand to just learn HTML and some
> webserver administration. Which I already know, I just
> want the paper to prove it.
>
> Can anyone suggest a school in the NYC area that
> offers
> a certification in Web technologies at a reasonable
> price. Hopefully this will get my foot in the door!!
>
> Can anyone else offer any other suggestions on how to
> get into web development.

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list