Subject: Re: FLASH: The career switch?!?!
From: Hal Medrano
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:53:13 +0100

I agree with Gregg wholeheartedly.

In this industry you're hired primarily on the strength of your portfolio
and who you've worked with/what you've done. You may have to pay your dues
for a year or so (ie, work for less than what you're used to making, or even
for free, like Gregg suggested), but I know a ton of successful web
designers (Flash developers, designers, programmers, etc.) who never
bothered to get a piece of paper that says they're smart. And with your
background in Admin, you've already got a good foundation; no need to roll
backwards before you can move forwards.

Regarding online educational resources, you might want to look at:

http://www.elementk.com/home.asp
http://www.merlot.org/Home.po

and a very good, basic HTML tutorial is available at:

http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/

About the only thing a training course might give you is a sense of
confidence. You might even consider a local community college for a few
quarters if you want a little structure to your education. But NYU is way
overpriced for what you need.

Good luck!

Hal

P.S. I teach in the web design and multimedia programs at Bellevue
Community College in Washington State. Depending on what specific skills
you want to learn, I might have some other resources for you to check out.
Feel free to email me offlist.