Subject: Re: FLASH: SVG?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:07:24 +0100

At 7:57 PM 8/25/0, Arcanus wrote:
> John, what do you see for SVG? I can't see it. I think a Flash
> browser that didn't know HTML from Uncle Milty would be more useful.

Me, personally? It seems like it has potential for a file-exchange
format... applications can ignore chunks they can't use. It also seems like
it could be useful for extraction of parts of graphics... it's inherently
splittable. There's a lot of hype, for sure, but that doesn't mean that
there couldn't be actually useful stuff to do with a text-based graphics
format.

My main goal is to connect designers' desires with the development team
here... if someone has an unmet need, then it's to my advantage to get
these groups connected.

At 10:51 PM 8/26/0, Damien Morton wrote:
> The real problem is this: Flash has some appeal because of its
> proprietary nature. You know exactly what you are going to get on
> any given platform. Flash is unitary. SVG will never be that.
> Unless everybody adopts the Adobe player there will no doubt be
> standards wars etc etc and ,like HTML, designers will have to deal
> with multiple platforms and players behaving in all kinds of ways.
> Everybody knows that thats no fun at all, and a complete waste of
> time and money.

That's true, and is the main reason that modelling potential SVG use on
current Macromedia Flash use seems sort of offbase. There may be other
useful ways to use the file format though.

> > doesn't Macromedia keep the published .swf spec current?
>
> Actually, Macromedia doesnt seem to be keeping its published SWF
> spec current. They released the docs to the Flash 4 spec a few
> months before they released Flash 5, and the word I hear is that
> they no longer speak of Flash being an 'open' standard.

The SWF4 documentation was late, true, and we've paid horribly for it. The
actual causes were formatting and legal concerns, but the general
assumption is that it was deliberately delayed. This isn't true, but that
doesn't matter... we're tarred with that brush regardless.

The SWF5 documentation is in the pipeline along with the trial and
localized and academic versions and all. I don't have an estimated date for
its delivery yet, but I can assure you that no one here in the shop wants
to suffer a delay similar to the SWF4 documentation.

These "SVG" threads seem to go 'round and 'round on themselves, though...
I'm really hunting for actual customer needs, so please don't be shy about
bringing them forward, thanks.

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list