Subject: Re: FLASH: Where to put loader movie?
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:12:10 GMT

At 12:43 PM 12/10/98 -0500, you wrote:

>"Control.swf" is main movie (level 0) which loads in frame 1
>"sound.swf" on level 5 and loads in frame 2 "intro.swf" on level
>1.
>
>When "intro.swf" finishes it loads "menu.swf" on level 1.
><SNIP>
>Question: When I test the sequence in browser (IE) I see the
>intro.swf but I have no sound until about halfway into my
>menu.swf. How do I structure things so that when people enter the
>site they will have sound starting with intro.swf.

Hi Sarah.
For starters, if you're going to need any of your movies later, why not
load them on different levels and have them sitting there in parked (empty,
stopped) frames?

In sound.swf, place a frame label somewhere after the frame(s) where the
sound is loaded. Call it "loaded." Have sound.swf load the sounds in
frame 3 or later. In frame 1, use If Frame loaded (frame: label "loaded")
and have two actions if the condition is met: first, tellTarget _level0 to
go to a frame where it shows the menu (this way the menu won't show until
the sounds are ready; meanwhile you could have a loop playing in level 0 to
keep the viewer engaged); second, have sound.swf jump to the third frame,
where it stops. Make the sound start with a tell target located in level 0
-- either a button that the user clicks, or a frame action that intro.swf
initiates when it is ready to run.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>