Subject: Re: FLASH: blurred mask?
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:58:13 GMT

At 11:34 AM 12/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This may be a simple question. I'm using a mask to show text. How should
>I make the mask so that when the text appears at first it's blurred -
>where the mask is going over. I tried to make the mask so that one end
>is 100% color and the other end is 0%... but that didn't work. Any
>ideas?
Hi Alice.

Masks can only be a solid shape, so gradients are out.
I have achieved a similar effect by creating a pair of narrow rectangles
with gradient edges (background color to transparent) that sit on a higher
layer and follow the movement of the mask (one leads, the other chases).
They will need to be only about the height of the text, and the background
behind the text will have to be solid. As the mask moves, so do these
vertical bars, which create a bit of fuzziness just inside the sides of the
mask. Another approach would be to have a screened-back version of the
same text on a higher layer -- maybe 20% alpha -- and use a copy of the
lower mask layer only make the mask a few percent larger, so the 20% alpha
text surrounds the 100% alpha text. This effect stacked several times at
different alpha levels would create a pretty smooth gradient blur.
Remember that when things are moving it is easier to fool the eye.

Marc Hoffman