Subject: FLASH: Re: Flash: next page
From: Len Harrison
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 18:47:02 GMT

Hi Lidia,

First off, if the pages you want to go to are html, then you are going to
need to put your arrow inside a frame and target another frame, otherwise
your flash reloads every time. We'll assume we are discussing html pages and
this has been done.

Secondly, if you just wanted a back button and were willing to sacrifice
some compatibility you could use the history property in Javascript to do
this. However, if you want to go to pages yet unvisited or are concerned
about users whose browsers have disabled scripting whether intentionally or
otherwise, there's a more elegant flash-only solution.

Tie your button to a movie clip whose instance name is "control" say.
Control has two to three frames depending on whether you want a mouseover
event for your button. Let's assume for the moment that you don't so there
are two frames in control. The first frame is empty except for the action
"stop". The second frame is a go to URL specifying the page you want and the
appropriate html frame as the target. The release event on your button does
telltarget to control with goto next frame as the command. This sends
control to the frame which loads the URL. There is also a second release
event on your button which advances to the next frame on the main timeline.
In the next frame on the main timeline you place a new instance of control,
identical to the first except that it loads a different URL. Continue this
schema for as many pages as you have.

If you want buttons pointing in both directions (forward and back), you can
either use two control clips or incorporate both functions within one such
that frame 2 might be the forward jump and frame 3 the back jump. Now your
forward button always does a goto frame 2 within its telltarget and your
back button does a goto frame 3.

If this is not clear after a bit of experimentation, don't hesitate to ask
for further clarification or a sample file either on the list or through
email.

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com