Subject: FLASH: Glide redux: please try again
From: Daniel J. O'Neil
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 03:13:46 GMT

New request for site feedback
Site content: G-rated (safe for home and office viewing!)

Dear Flashers (hee hee),

I've just gotten a note from my trusty system administrator that MIME
has now been set up for Flash on my server. So I'm requesting that
people try our site "Glide: an interactive exploration of visual
language" again and let me know what happens--hey, if you people can't
see it, then I know the other 99.9% of the Internet population won't be
able to see it either.

Here's the URL:

http://nova.stu.rpi.edu/glide/testbed

If the screen comes up black and after 20 seconds or so nothing else
appears, not even the word "loading...," try closing the window and
clicking the rotating "enter Glide" button again. This seems to be a
"feature" that happens on some people's machines. If it still doesn't
work, let us know so we can scratch our heads and tear our hair out.

All feedback on any issues--design, content, usability, technical
issues--will be received with gratitude.

Note: the collabyrinth and lexicon sections are done in Director and
require the Shockwave player. You will also need to download two Xtras
(or wait until we get our hands on D7, hopefully in
January)--instructions are provided. For collabyrinth, just leave
"username" and "password" blank and click on "login." You won't be able
to save files (we're still trying to work out a security system with our
sys admin). The collabyrinth is still very much in development, and not
all of its functionality has been implemented.

Quick overview of site: The Glide Project explores the question: What
does it mean to move through a maze of language? The site is divided
into nine sections: story (an excerpt from the novel "The Death
Dancers"), labyrinth, collabyrinth, music (virtual musical instruments
which can be played), obsession, resonance, visual language,
architecture, lexicon.

Thanks for any and all help.

Best regards,
Daniel