Subject: Re: FLASH: PNG Alpha Channels and Darkness
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 23:58:35 GMT

At 11:03 AM 12/18/98, Arlen Nielsen wrote:
>I have noticed that Photoshop does an awful job at processing PNG images.
>Especially when importing the file into Flash. Yes the image is definitely
>darker, but there is hope.

Doublecheck the gamma and colorspace settings used in Photoshop. This can
affect the output when seen in other applications. (Info's in the PS502
docs, among other places.)

One other gotcha when going from PS to other apps is that some exports
require flattening of layers before being able to grab alpha and other
goodies. I don't remember offhand which formats in which versions require
this, but it's another FAQ on the Photoshop newsgroup.

Better yet, use Fireworks... better brushstrokes, more editability, PNG
flows to Flash and Director like silk. Great for GIF compression and
JavaScript, too.

jd

Public discussions have first claim on support time; but private email
is available via Priority Access: http://www.macromedia.com/support/