Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash and custom palettes
From: John Dowdell
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 00:20:40 GMT

I'm not sure why JPEG in HTML wouldn't do the job... d'you want the wood
chips to come spinning and rotating at the viewer, or is there some other
reason to embed...?

You can import a bitmap to Flash. You have some control over its
compression within the SWF, but not as much as if you tweaked the GIF or
JPEG for normal use.

(Flash's best use is with curve-based art... it can add sound, and pixels,
and interactivity, but the great driving force is the curves.)

criterion, then you'll have most control if you compress right into your
delivery format.

At 4:43 AM 12/17/98, Richard D. Miller wrote:
>We're considering Flash as the primary means to present approximately
>4000 individual pictures at our web site (www.forestworld.com). Nearly
>1000 of these are of detailed wood patterns, where we've optimized the
>images (approx. 3x3 inches in size) to display in 256 color environments.
>(All of this comes from a CD we've been selling around the world for the
>past five years). We'd like to use Flash IF there is some way to store
>the custom palettes so that the individual Flash movies (each containing
>one picture) would appear photo-quality for users with monitors set to
>256 colors. If not, we'll have to stick with conventional JPEG (which,
>under 256 colors, does not do a good job with our graphics).
>
>The 1000 wood images are currently stored as PICT images. They could be
>converted to other formats if necessary.

Public discussions have first claim on support time; but private email
is available via Priority Access: http://www.macromedia.com/support/