Subject: Re: FLASH: GIF transparency
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:46:50 GMT

Hi Ashley, Marc, Malte and all,

> >My question is this: Whenever I make a transparent GIF in Photoshop 4 or
> >5, it always comes up in Flash with a black background instead of a
> >transparency.
> The only bitmap format that can import to Flash with transparency intact is
> .png.
Gifs can be imported into Flash with their transparent color transparent
only if that color is the 0 (zero) index color in the color palette.
Gifs do not need an alpha channel as PNGs do to make them transparent.
PNGs with an alpha channel are up to twice as large as an image with no
alpha channel image.