Subject: Re: FLASH: Javascript detection script
From: Colin Moock
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 01:48:26 GMT

flasheratshocker [dot] com,Internet writes:
>> I just read that their may be javascripts available that make two
>> detection's on entering macromedia's homepage. One to detect your
>> browser and afterwards a detection for your plugin. Is this true? After
>> reading this other post I inderstand that the thing that makes this
>> confusing in viewing the javascript is that "View Source" has already
>> been altered depending on what browser your using. I know we've been
>> directed to Colin's detection scripts before, but do they do the same
>> thing? John? Colin? Mark?
>>
>> ...JB, a javascript novice...

javascript can detect both the browser and plugin type, but not on all
browser/os combinations.

macromedia's official end-user detection approach is aftershock, a utility that
generates javascript

macromedia's homepage appears not to use the utility--it's more customized.
most large professional sites hand build their detection scripts to suit their
needs.

my detection script is one of the publicly available scripts you can use. it's
handy if you intend on customizing your own script because there's an article
with it describing the approach to the detection it does, and because the
coding is pretty straightforward.

another option to detection is using flash + a meta tag. you can see how at:
http://colinmoock/webdesign/flash/detection/noscriptdetection.html

does that answer your question?
colin