Subject: FLASH: Horizons online rocket console -- please review
From: zeug
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:18:04 GMT

The Horizons online target acquisition and launch initiation site is now running in exhibition mode at the Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts, Western Australia. It consists of a flash interactive console in several frames with flash scripting, QT3 audio and video, some javascript and cgi, and a DHTML layer. It's reasonably stable at the moment although the html text elements need to be flashed to ensure consistency over browsers and platforms, and IE is currently excluded due to my inability to write cross-platform javascript to cover those monopolists at MS.

I use

<script language="JavaScript"><!--
function video(url) {
document.layers[1].src=(url);
}
// --> </script>

to write html pages to a cascading style sheet layer that acts as a screen overlay for a jpeg onscreen monitor. Any of the flash, QT3 or html elements can call the layer with

javascript:video('xxxx.html');

in the Get URL or sprite tags etc. But my brain fused when it came to cover IE's non-standard vscript or whatever...too much to do and no time to do it in...if anyone knows a simple fix for this I'd be appreciative as IE4+ handles everything else the same as Navigator.

I'd also be interested in seeing how the local ISP handles overseas connects and how well the whole site downloads. I've deliberately tried to fragment as much of the downloads as possible to the extent that the main flash piece, the controller board where most of the interactivity is built into, dl's in 47KB. I've played this over a 288 modem on a PC pentium 120 with 32 MB ram and while slow it managed to shoot a rocket off...

Thanks,

Malcolm Riddoch

Having its ground in the horizonal unity of ecstatical temporality, the world is transcendent. It must already have been ecstatically disclosed so that in terms of it entities within-the-world can be encountered. Temporality already maintains itself ecstatically within the horizons of its ecstases; and in temporalizing itself, it comes back to those entities which are encountered in the "there".

Heidegger, Being and Time