Subject: Re: FLASH: Rotating Globe
From: David Gary
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:00:08 GMT

Nathan wrote:

David wrote,

I would find that fairly time consuming for a spinning globe effect. A 3D
program is really not neccessary.
1st layer: Create a round mask(size of globe)
2nd layer: Create a flat map of continents(whatever) and tween it from left to
right of the mask and loop.
3rd layer: create a round gradient to give 3D sphere(lighting effect

Why does and easy solution have to be the best solution . You are unable to make the globe spin around forever. The earth does not spin back and forth. Sometimes you have to put in a little effort in order to create good work.

Nathan

hiya Nathan,

Yup, I totally agree. I personally always try to put in the best effort in all my work. However there are a few "real world" issues to consider when developing for internet.
1. How much is in the budget. Concept+complexity = timeline. Does the client's expectations, concepts and budget meet my timeline? This determines how complex a piece of Flash work might be. The concept might require an animation of every planet in our solar system to be animated.
2. When working on the internet, size is a uge issue. Ive seen great Flash work, but at a rediculas file size.
Is the experience worth the wait? Maybe if your a Flash developer and curious to new ideas, you'll wait, but to your Joe Shmo that has no idea what hes waiting on, guess your client wont be getting that many hits.

The bottom line is, I never said  the easy solution has to be the best solution. I look at 2 things for global network animations,
budget=timeline and swf size=bandwidth. Of course I invest my resources for advertising.
So my best interest are for the client and their potential customers. The file has to be small
and their expectations and concepts have to fit into their budget which runs on my timeline.

The reason I created that particular FLA, was because someone was questioning how the site with Sean Connery did theirs and Im pretty sure mine was similiar. That particular file is not the only way to achieve a rotating globe in FLash even though
I would like to see one smaller in file size. Personally if I see another spinning globe on the internet I think Ill throw up.

To create, map, set effective lighting, render, import sequence, hand trace frame by frame, and export swf for internet
is NOT what i recommend for spinning globe technique. Unless the only thing loading is the spinning globe and the client wants
to pay for that process. Also if thats the case and some shmuck wants to wait for a 150k spinning globe, then the developer has probably found a niche for developing for shmucks who search for animated spinning globes.

Anyway, you got anything better?

-DG-