Subject: Re: FLASH: Netscape + NT bug?
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 01:48:45 GMT

Hi Michelle,

> Has anyone else experienced problems with Flash using Netscape on Windows
> NT?
NT tends to have more problems but I'm not sure why.

> I've never had a problem using Win 98, but changed to NT recently and now
> Netscape crashes regularly when I view Flash on the web. I tried
> reinstalling the browser (v 4.5) and running service pack 4, but it still
> keeps crashing it, even in Netscape 3.04. I wondered if it was the version
> of the plugin installed with 4.5, but another developer here said he had
> problems with older versions of NS on NT.
You can check and see what version of the plugin you have in Netscape by
going to Help > About Plugins. I don't know of any version of the Plugin
though that is known to cause crashing.

> It doesn't happen all the time, and seems to happen more often if I click or
> scroll when the swf hasn't finished loading.
> It gives an application error, and closes the browser. I can't find any
> system help on the error (which varies anyway).
> It's definitely not something I'm doing in my Flash, because it happens on
> other well-known Flash sites as well (including www.macromedia.com).
> I'd really appreciate any ideas on this, as we're doing a lot of new
> development for a client.
Note you might want to verify the MIME on your site and any other sites
you regularly visit. Crashes initiated by bad MIME are known to happen
on innocent sites after leaving the site that caused the problem. Don't
eliminate hidden causes such as CGI which is the number one cause of
crashing because the MIME is not set correctly for the particular CGI
extension used. MIME can affect one browser differently than another.
The same exact browser on two different computers can have different
symptoms (includes no apparent problem).
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Server

1) Check regularly visited sites for MIME
2) Reinstall plugin
3) Drivers - esp. Video - check if you have problems with basic VGA
driver
Get latest video driver.
3) Reinstall browser
4) Reinstall NT (or whatever O/S)