Subject: Re: FLASH: Survey - Should Flash 5 use a browser-based help system?
From: David Mendels
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:34:43 GMT

Michael,

This is bizarre. You posted this on a Director list and several of our
folks (Jake, James, etc) explained to you that there were a lot of
fundamental errors in it, and you still posted to the Flash list with those
errors. Why?

1. You write "[Macromedia]in fact, plans to extend this approach to its
other products." Where did you get this? We do not have specific plans to
extend browser based help to other products that don't have it now (some
product teams may do that, some many not, but Macromedia does not have a
plan in this regard.) And as Jake and James told you on the Director list,
Director for example will NOT have a browser based help system in its next
release.

2. You write: "Macromedia tells me that they are moving all their applications
to browser-based help because "everything we do must be cross platform
without exception". This is also not true and you were told that several
times. That *was* *one* reason at one point in time that browser-based
help was considered, but it is not a driving issue at present. James on
the Director list gave you some of the history and rationale for it
already, so I don't see why you continue to post this. Please don't make
pronouncements about what "Macromedia told you" that are untrue. We are
here on this list and can make our own announcements.

3. If you don't like browser-based help, the right thing to do is just let
the teams know via wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com,
wish-fireworksatmacromedia [dot] com, wish-freehandatmacromedia [dot] com,
wish-dreamweaveratmacromedia [dot] com (etc...for the rest of products). Some
people like it, some don't. I am not a big fan of it myself, but I think
the pros outweigh the cons in most cases. As many know the Director users
lets us know via the wish list and the Director 7 beta program that they
did not prefer the browser-based help system and Macromedia responded by
removing it and replacing it with a non-browser help engine.

Regards,

David
Macromedia

flasher is generously supported by...