Subject: FLASH: Survey - Should Flash 5 use a browser-based help system?
From: Michael Maffie
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:29:17 GMT

Greetings, Flashers,

Most of you are by now familiar with the browser-based
online Help system that comes with Flash. I've recently
learned that Macromedia plans to continue using browser-based
Help in Flash and in fact, plans to extend this approach to
its other products.

I feel it's time to check in with you good folks, the
users, to see whether you prefer this kind of Help system
to the standard native Windows or Mac Help engine.
Specifically, I'm hoping you'll share your opinion on
whether future Flash releases should continue to use
browser-based Help, or whether a migration back to the
native Help system is your preference.

The rest of this message contains:

1 - MM's rationale for using browser-based help
2 - My personal opinion (skip this if you want
to avoid my biases)
3 - A survey - four quick questions

I am asking you to use the survey to weigh in on this question. If
you send your info to me directly at mmaffieaterols [dot] com. I will compile
the results, send it all to Macromedia, and post that compilation
to this list as well.

Also, I'll be posting (or have already posted) a similar survey on Dreamweaver, Director, Fireworks, and Freehand lists, and If you
use those products, then I'd appreciate your feedback there as well.

Many thanks,
Michael

======= 1 - MM's rationale for using browser-based help =======

Macromedia tells me that they are moving all their applications
to browser-based help because "everything we do must be cross platform
without exception".

I'd originally thought that the move to browser-based help was some
kind of cost-saving move, but MM assures me that this is not the case.
On close examination, I believe them, because they've obviously put a
good amount of work into this, and have tried hard to bring most of
the elements of a native help system into the browser.

======= 2 - My personal opinion =======

I'll come right out and say that I really don't like browser-based
help, and am sorry to learn that MM intends to move farther in that
direction. Let me nutshell my three main reasons:

1. Compared to the native Mac and Windows help engines, browsers
are a clumsy and less suitable alternative:
- A browser uses more screen real estate than is necessary for
the job.
- A browser uses more memory than is necessary for the job.
- It loads much more slowly than the native Help engine, and
once the browser itself is loaded, the content pages (like
the index) take much longer to load than comparable native Help.

2. When the Help system depends on the browser, it competes with other
activities that also use the browser.
- For example, I've had Fireworks Help wipe out a purchase I was
in the process of placing on the Web, and I couldn't refresh it with
the Back button because it depended on secure submitted forms data.
- Another example is that in Dreamweaver 2, if you have the Help
system open and you go to preview a Web page you are working on,
your preview page will likely-as-not show up inside the Help
system's frame set - a major annoyance.

3. The Search utility is much less flexible, and much slower, than that
in the native help engine.

While I applaud MM's desire to provide as much cross-platform
consistency as possible, there are certain situations where there's
something to be gained by letting this goal slip a little.

For example, consider the highly-useful context menu. On Windows,
you view an object's context menu by right-clicking on it. On the
Mac, you get the menu by clicking while holding down a modifier key.
If you want to be fully cross-platform consistent, then I suppose
you could force users of both platforms to use the Mac method. Or,
you could eliminate context menus from the product entirely.
Fortunately, Macromedia chose neither of those options, but instead,
lets Windows users do it the Windows way and Mac users do it the Mac
way. This decision works to everyone's benefit.

I'm puzzled as to why the Help system question was not resolved the
same way. The native Help engines on both Mac and Windows provide
benefits over the browser-based approach, and I suspect that most
users would be glad to use the engine on their native platform.
There's no new stuff to learn, and not a single page of documentation
would have to be rewritten.

It looks to me like the goal of cross-platform consistency has become
deified as an end in itself, and the quality of the end user experience
has taken a back seat in the process.

======= 3 - The survey =======
Please answer the 4 questions below and send the results to me at
mmaffieaterols [dot] com.

1. Put an X before the response that best describes your position
about browser-based Help in Flash.

___ a. I would like Macromedia to continue using the current
browser-based help in Flash.
___ b. I lean in favor of browser-based help, but could go either way.
___ c. I'll be fine either way; no preference at all.
___ d. I lean in favor of native Windows or Mac help, but could go
either way.
___ e. I want Macromedia to stop using browser-based help and
Flash.

2. Put an X before everything below that you agree with regarding the
importance of cross-platform consistency in general.

___ f. Cross-platform consistency is so important that it's worth
achieving, even if it means that useful features will be left
out of a product.
___ g. Cross-platform consistency is so important that it's worth
achieving, even if it means implementing features in a
"lowest common denominator" fashion that works on both
platforms but which would not have been the preferred method
on either platform.
___ h. Cross-platform consistency should primarily focus on the ability to
use the same image files on different computers.
___ i. Cross-platform consistency should primarily focus on making it easy
for the user to move from machine to machine without having to
learn new application-specific skills. (distinct from OS-specific
skills)
___ j. (Make your own statement about the importance and proper
implementation of cross-platform consistency.)

3. Please add your own comments about whether browser-based help is a good
idea for future Flash releases:

4. What's your name, and is it OK if I submit it to Macromedia with
your comment?

flasher is generously supported by...