Subject: FLASH: SVG, flash killer? what?
From: Paul Hagwood
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:23:31 GMT

Right now I work at IBM (but currently looking for
something else) and I can tell you it doesn't surprise
me that people would be saying that SVG is a "Flash
Killer". I have fought and fought and fought to use
flash on IBM sites. If you go to most IBM sites,
you'll see that there is little to no flash. (boo
hoo). The best I've been able to do is a semi-online
demo (you need someone to guide you through it, which
they do at trade shows) you can see that at
http://swaydemo.dfw.ibm.com/connected/
But back to SVG, here is why I don't think it will
kill flash:
1. They want it to work without a plug-in. Never going
to happen. Why? Because if Netscape supports it, IE
will support it differently, it's almost like a
requirement with those idiots.
2. From what I understand of SVG, it will require
javascript for interactivity and animation. That will
never work for the same reason as #1.
3. Also, when and if Netscape and IE ever do support a
format, then it will be years before we can use it.

I think the reason people are excited about this is it
allows for things like searchable text and more
programmer control, but it doesn't do what flash does.
I think they are also excited because it (from what I
hear) works with pervasive devises. But all the things
that SVG "might" do, flash could also possibly do. The
difference is, we are already using flash and people
are getting used to seeing flash content on the web.

SVG will be exactly the same as DHTML. Big hype, but
nobody is using it. That's my prediction. But even if
it does catch on, who is to say that it will kill
flash? Has Flash killed HTML? Has anything killed
HTML? Can't we all just get along? *SMILE*

=====
http://im.yahoo.com

flasher is generously supported by...