Subject: Re: FLASH: Wolverines in Kevin's pants and ActionScript
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 14:34:15 GMT

> AS tutorial don't even come close. Even Flash Magic is off the mark here. Yes
it is
> full of techniques but it is nothing more than "type this in". Well, big
whoop. Why
> am I typing it in and how can it be changed to meet my design needs?

Different people learn in different ways. Just like to say that for me, (and
I'm definately a designer, not a coder as I'm learning disabled mathwise)
I'm not finding this true of the Flash Magic book. I was afraid I would from
comments made here. But the game I want to make isn't in there (good for me,
as it's more fun if it hasn't been done already :), but it's sort of a
combination of two games that are in there, and for people who haven't
bought it yet, there's more explanation than "type this in" in that book.

I haven't read the whole book. Maybe some chapters have less explanation
than others. But I was very glad to see (for example) "...on the Actions
tab, assign the ActionScript..." and then explanation: "This script checks
the value of 'Count' and plays the animation only if its value is less than
two." That's enough explanation for *me* to know why I'm typing it in, which
is what I need :).

> I am never asked by designers in my classes to "Show me the code, man." I am
> constantly asked by designers in my classes to explain variables. I tell them,
> using English,

Admittedly I know what a variable is (and if I didn't, you just told me :) -
and I have other basic coding books to explain terms I don't get (The Little
Schemer (a book on scheme code) is good at explaining things in language I
can understand and has less math. Really the terms aren't that esoteric. If
I look "variable" up in an English dictionary I get: "Likely to change or
vary, subject to variation: changeable. Capable of or liable to change."
That seems pretty reasonable to me :)

But anyways, I just wanted to say the Flash Magic book gives me mostly what
I need, though your mileage may vary.

Laura Mollett

flasher is generously supported by...