Subject: Re: FLASH: No more demo FLAs
From: Michael Dunn
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:09:13 GMT

Okay, so, I downloaded one of Branden's tutorials for a scrolling menu bar and
didn't understand 98% of it. However, I figured out enough of it to make the
thing scroll Vertically instead of Horizontally. I also changed the variables he
called out as changeable, recreated the effect (using his code, my original
graphics and a new movie). I added my own scripts for tell targets (not in the
original download) and get urls. Now, if I don't credit him, it looks like I
wrote the scrolling code (which is above my head at this point). If I do credit
him, it looks like it was all his. If I put a notice in there saying "Original
code written by Branden Hall modified by Michael Dunn" is that clear enough? How
much do I have to change to not be suspected of stealing (though I wouldn't want
to "steal" credit or how much credit should be given to be fair? I've been going
through the code, little by little changing bits and pieces to see what effects
what, and am totally amazed how complex it is. Now, here's what I'm comfortable
with: since anyone who is concerned with how it was done is going to check the
code, the credit should go there. If a client wanted me to replicate the effect
(the page I used it on was personal W.I.P. and not yet online) I would tell them
I can do it, but it's someone else's code (that's ethical, yes?) but would I pay
Branden (I'm sure he'd like a royalty check or something)? If I was unethical, I
could change the variable names, and move some stuff around and take credit for
myself. But when the client says, "Well, have it do this..." and I say "I don't
know how" the gig is up. It brings to mind a fable or something, but I can't
quite remember it.

At any rate, sad to see a valuable resource lost in a confusing grey area of
property rights.
--
Michael Dunn
The Merica Agency