Subject: FLASH: Generator Wishes
From: Damian Morton
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:59:09 GMT

Here are a couple of things Id really love to see in Generator

1. The ability to create my own Generator objects and add them to the
Generator objects palette. This would probably be complicated, but opening
up the Generator API would be an excelent step.

2. The ability to include simple markup in textfields. Ive looked at the SWF
spec and there doesnt seem to be any reason why this cant be done. The kinds
of markup that the SWF format allows are as follows:
Font (even simple stuff like "\i" for italic, "\b" for bold)
Color
Height
Positioning (e.g. carriage return, tabs, etc etc)

Ive been browsing through flashgen.jar and it seems to me that it might be
possible to hook in some of the simpler text effects, but it would be a hell
of a lot easier if MM released a patch of their own, or assisted me in
created such a patch.

Increasing Flash's text handling abilities through Generator comes at no
cost on the client side as the SWF handling of text is extremely flexible.
All thats needed is better support at authoring and generation time.

With better text handling, I lose one less argument when proposing Flash
over HTML for a project.

flasher is generously supported by...