Subject: Re: FLASH: game scripting question (based on Flash 4 Magic Concentration)
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:09:58 GMT

> Here's an idea... you can place all of your tiles into their final place,
> just have each tile be a movie clip, with all X possibilites in that MC.
> Then, you just # all of the instances, so that their names are like tile1,
> tile2... tile101, etc To shuffle them up you first put them in the frames
> you would naturally, i.e. tile1 in frame 1, etc... just do say 300 random
> swaps on them. (If you download Fast! There is a macro I wrote that does
> just this!) Then each tile could also be given its coordinates, and be told
> to look for illegal neighbors before it allows itself to be selected.
>
> -= Branden J. Hall
> -= Multimedia Developer/Instructor
> -= Fig Leaf Software

Hi Brandon,
Thanks very much for the help! I'm not quite sure what you mean by "all x
possibilities in that mc"? I now have all the tiles named and shuffling and
placing themselves and finally got them in the right "layers" as well :)
Kinda a hack, but I duplicated all the movie clips because when you
duplicate you can set a "depth" level, then set the originals to invisible
:) So now my code is selecting a mc, duplicating it, placing the duplicate
in the right place, and setting the visibility of the original mc to false.

Duplicating mc's and loading movies or mc's were the only two things I could
find that allow you to set a z-coordinate (3d, layer, whatever :). So that's
my new wish list for Flash 5: x-property, y-property, and z-property control
please :)

I'm afraid I can't use Fast! as I'm on a mac... hopefully there'll be a mac
version soon, as the scripting interface in Flash is kinda... hard to get
used to :)

Thanks again, that helped a lot :)
Laura

flasher is generously supported by...