Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash presentation on a CD
From: Michael Penne
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:45:13 GMT

No, it shouldn't take anywhere near that long to
load. For some reason its not streaming? You have
the images loaded into keyframes? You are
unloading the previous moive when you load the
new one? What does the bandwidth profiler on the
published swfs look like? Do you have a large
file in a movie clip on the first frame (MCs have
to load completly, they don't stream).
Don't forget to get info and boost the memory of
the player (why does nearly _every_ mac SW
developer seem to set the 'recommended' memory
setting for their apps. too low for
stability?!?). PS, when was the last time you
de-fragged the drive? (I've found publishing
large swfs nearly as fragging as rendering video
or 3D, and a highly fragged drive can result in
significant performance decreases).

Its best to start the first few frames with
lightweight graphics, section title, etc rather
than a heavy graphic, but that shouldn't cause
the kind of load times you are going through.
Does it help if you use jpegs instead of PNGs?

Our load times were ~20second for the first
section (~2mb) and less than that for the others
off of the _CD_, off the HD it was much faster.

--- David Patterson <davidatbigfishmedia [dot] com>
wrote:
> Sorry to be a pain, but I still need/would
> appreciate more
> advice on this topic....

> surfaced, so as suggested, I broke the
> movie down into four separate modules (modules
> are 80k,
> 1.5mb, 5.1mb, and 6.2mb), and used a
> Load Movie action to get from one movie to the
> next.
> Navigation all works well, except that to get
> from
> one movie to the next (playing on my hard
> drive) takes a
> considerable amount of time (up to 90
> seconds!). It seems as though the Flash player
> (or
> Projector) has to load all of the images
> individually
> before it will play the next movie? My

=====
Personal Flash, etc.