Subject: Re: FLASH: users without flash
From: Susie Hinchliffe
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:18:48 GMT

hi Gavin
i've been playing with this for a couple of days so i'm not exactly what you
might call an expert but it might help you a bit...

>If you run into a user without flash, is he automatically shown the
>alternate gif file as specified in aftershock? I tried testing a little anim
>on a non-flash PC and nothing happened.

Aftershock should specify the alternate gif. if it's not working, from what
I understand it might be a case of doing the Aftershock code again just in
case it's come out glitchy.

> It starts loading some image and then eventually just shows nothing
It sounds like plug-in detect has failed, if it's bringing up an image first
and then going to nothing. As an alternative to using Aftershock, Colin
Moock (thank you!!) has scripts for Flash3 (&2) that allow you to specify a
detection page, a flash page, a non-flashed page, and an
unable-to-detect-the-plug-in page with which you can link to Flash/Non-Flash
content. He's included some really nice text on what to do if you don't
have the plug-in with links to MM's download page
http://colinmoock.iceinc.com/webdesign/flash/
you want the advanced FLAs section

>It's quite slow as well.
If it's slow this could be a streaming issue. you don't have everything
loaded into the first frame of your movie do you, as that would slow it down
a lot? (sorry, is that an awful question?) - also look at your fps

>If you can get the image to load, is it not possible to 'href' it to the
flash download page?
you can specify a separate image and build in an image map (i guess,
although I haven't figured out where in the code you'd put the map to make
it work). you should also be able to specify a different html page rather
than an img srct - again i'm not sure how the code for that works as it
seems to be a Javascript onload kind of thing, and i'm new to Javascript.

hope this helps a little until you get a guru calling!

susie