Subject: FLASH: Browser types
From: dave.trautman
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 05:17:37 GMT

Les Mizzell" <mizzellatemail [dot] msn [dot] com> wrote:
>My main client has one office with over 200 PCs, all running I.E. 3.0 with
>Java disabled!! They **REFUSE** to change any configurations because "it
>took us forever to get this system stable and we're NOT changing anything."

Man, I'm with you on that score. I can't tell you how many times I've
come
up against this attitude. I spent plenty of time dealing with sys admins
in a
prominent Canadian University and on the whole they are clear headed and
very decent people. But when it came to configurations for browsers and
the
use of plug-ins they were impossible to deal with.

The policy may have changed as of this writing but this University did not
allow MSIE in labs because of a "security" problem they perceived in which
a user could remain "logged on" where in NN it would have to deal with the
password again at each launch. Because of this silly and easily remedied
deficiency (which I believe was dealt with in subsequent IE releases) a
whole
range of possible teaching enhancements, not to leave out ActiveX, were
kept
at bay.

Using FLASH for one development project was deemed too "experimental" at
one point and the "market penetration" of the plug-in was questioned.
Even
when MM announced the partnership with MSIE and NN for the next
release of their browsers the powers-that-be would not be swayed.

Despite this, and in light of leaving said institution, I am more
convinced of
the significance of FLASH as a superior web delivery solution than ever.
think the points made earlier about just forging ahead and leaving
doubters
in the dust of our departure are extremely valid in light of where the web
has been and where it is going. Intervals between versions of browsers
may
not be getting longer, but the size of the update is making people hold
back on
upgrading. A leaner NN is in the offing and Opera is making inroads. But
FLASH is so darn efficient and so capable right out of the box that it
won't be
long before it's totally integrated into the Multimedia workshop for web
delivery of extremely satisfying content and interactions. As we soldier
on in
the name of innovation and progress we must always serve our paying lords.
I don't believe this means we can't demonstrate some insight into the way
things will be in the near future.

I've seen jaws drop for two reasons whenever I demo FLASH. One is the
speed and the smooth frame rate and the jaws nearly hit the floor when I
tell then just how big the files are. I can't think of another web
delivery
solution which has this capability. But then I can't understand why many
server admin people are reluctant to do just a little MIME tweak and why
lab managers refuse to accept a few adjustments to the browsers. It's
also
funny they didn't blink when asked to install QT3.

I can only think of the fragility of operating systems and the locked in
nature
of Windows in particular when it comes to the "don't touch" mentality. It
seems when a facility acquires PC systems in bulk they end up freezing the
configuration beyond its usefulness because of all the overhead they have
spend in keeping them up and running. The mentality which forms is
"don't touch" and it will stay working. I've never seen UNIX people
operate
this way. Perhaps it's a bird in a guilded cage with the door open wide.

Bill by the hour and include a nuisance fee. That's my motto.

Dave Trautman
EncycloMEDIA Ltd.

"The opposite of love, I have found, is not hate, but indifference."
‹ Elie Weisel