Subject: Re: FLASH: pitch shifting, clicks, etc.
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:07:22 GMT

I haven't noticed this "bouncing click" you mention but I have had problems with pitch changes taking place in compression. I have one file in particular that I've attempted to import into Flash for an onMouseover event but when compressed it goes from a high pitch to a much lower pitch. Very annoying. Anyone know of a way to avoid this "pitch shifting".

Check what format the sound is before you import it. Windows computers prefer to have sounds using these sample rates:
11.025 kHz
22.050 kHz

while many sounds (especially those created on Macintosh computers) use slightly different sample rates:
11.127 kHz
22.255 kHz

The pitch shift occurs as your sound card tries to adjust the pitch to the nearest "correct" frequency. Resampling the sound in a program such as SoundEdit 16, Sound Forge or similar programs should correct this problem.

I'd like to see a copy of the sound that's giving the "clicks" (sent privately, of course, not to this list).

Regards,

Brad Bechtel
Flash QA
------------------------------------------------------------------------ To UNSUBSCRIBE send: unsubscribe flasher in the body of an email to list-manageratshocker [dot] com. Problems to: owneratshocker [dot] com N.B. Email address must be the same as the one you used to subscribe. For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratshocker [dot] com