Subject: Re: FLASH: Speed
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:16:15 GMT

Hi Matt,

> I am having problems getting a movie to maintain its frame rate throughout
> playback. I know I have to deal with some slowing for huge graphics, but
> are there some tricks I don't know to speed up performance?
> My movie contains an object which comes directly at the viewer and "hits"
> the monitor. The problem is it goes really slow as it gets close..... Help!
Simplify it as much as possible. Any animation that moves and changes a
large portion of the screen at one time needs to be very simple to move
quickly. There is a reason that sites that seem to move quickly are
composed of only simple circles. In other words there is no way to move
large objects quickly across a large portion of the screen. When objects
are moving they don't always need as much detail, so one trick is to
move a lightly detailed item and replace it with a higher detailed
version when at rest.