Subject: Re: FLASH: Text animation
From: Angelique Gulermovich Epstein
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:44:37 GMT

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments. I'm afraid that I'm going to need text
manipulation beyond the scope of DHTML; the project also requires sound.
It's nice just to know that the anti-aliasing isn't great; now I have a
better idea of what is and isn't possible.

I have a little proof-of-concept animation up at
<http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/web/angel_out/foo_for_michael/Test.html>.
Please be warned that I don't know if the MIME-type is set or not; I just
know that it works on both browsers on both my computers. Also please be
warned that this is a test, and the sound stinks! I'd really appreciate
any tips people have about a project featuring animation of this basic
sort. (There will also be scaling and rotating, etc., of type.) I'm going
to need to use at least three distinctly different fonts; I doubt that I'll
need them to be truly legible at smaller than 12 pt. No doubt there some
techniques that will work better here than others, and I'd be very grateful
for any help people could give me.

Yours very truly,

Angel

P.S. This is a realy question, I'm not being snarky: Are there any
Macromedia products that handle type well? (Other than Fontographer, that
is ;-) I mean multimedia products.

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:18:29 -0500
>From: John Croteau <croteauaterols [dot] com>
>Subject: Re: FLASH: Text animation
>
>Hi Angelique,
>
>> about prose revision and rhetoric. This involves having lots of words in
>> book fonts (say, Palatino 12) move around on the screen. I can find many
>> sites with lovely tips about all sorts of animation, but this sort of text
>> animation is really a different animal. For example, once I export, the
>First make sure your Quality is set at High and not AutoHigh.
>Unfortunately the anti-aliasing in Flash does not work very well on
>small text. The results of small ttext varies based on the particular
>Font used.
>
>If your text manipulation is simple, downloadable fonts should be
>considered. Though both Netscape 4+ and MSIE 4+ both support
>downloadable fonts they each require a different system for creating and
>displaying fonts. Both of these systems handle smalll fonts better than
>Flash but there is not good simple authoring system that I know of that
>handles both downloadable font systems. If you happen to have an
>audience that is made up of a single version 4 browser type then the
>downloadable font solution might be a solution. This is especially true
>with IE4 where Flash works with DHTML so you could do text manipulation
>in DHTML and other graphics with Flash above or below the text.

>John Croteau croteauaterols [dot] com (mailto:croteauaterols [dot] com)
Hvart ero that svic ein, er ec sia thicciomz,
etha ragna roc, rštha menn dauthir?

Is it dream-sight only my eyes behold,
Or Ragnarok, where dead men ride?

--Helgakvitha Hundingsbana II.40