Subject: FLASH: S.O.S. - Problems on Mac+IE4.5
From: Vishnevsky, Nelly
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:24:59 GMT

Dear fellow Flashers:

My first question is about this list - is it archived anywhere on the web?
My e-mail server crashed, and I lost ALL my precious e-mails saved from many
previous months. I have a feeling that I've seen something on the topic I'm
about to ask before, but where is it when I need it...

And now, I will proceed to my main Flash - or maybe Aftershock? - question.
Our site http://www.hillier.com was successfully launched a few weeks ago.
We received a lot of compliments on it - thank you to all of you who sent us
your comments. However, one problem emerged: some MAC users, most of them
running I.E. 4.5, couldn't see all graphics on the site. In their words,
"After the initial razzle-dazzle (*meaning the intro movie - N.V.*), the
screen went black and only the copyright, mailto and help buttons were
functioning."

Unfortunately, we developed and tested the site mostly in the Wintel
environment, and don't have any Macintoshes in the office. Can someone with
a Mac please go to our site and see if they have problems? Maybe you can
also look at the source code generated by Aftershock and tell me if there is
anything that doesn't look right.

My observations/conclusions so far:

1. Yesterday, I finally was able to test the Hillier site on a PowerMac
8600/300 myself and found one strange thing. The tester Flash player movie
from Macromedia's site runs just fine, which means that the plugin was
installed correctly. However, the tiny "Enter" Flash movie embedded into my
entry page does not animate and displays the alternate GIF file instead.
It's got to be some Aftershock setting!

2. My intro movie runs fine, but then as soon as it gets to the home page
(or if you hit the "Skip" button), the graphics don't appear correctly on
the page. The original homepage should contain a row of five large icons in
the center and three small ones in the upper right corner. The only visible
ones are the tiny ones in the corner, but not the main ones.

The only difference I can think about is that the intro movie runs only in
one layer at a time, while when you get to homepage, you have several movies
playing simultaneously in multiple layers. I seem to remember someone on
the list warning about a limit of 6 simultaneous open connections on some
systems. Can anyone remind me what was that about, please?

3. If, after reloading the homepage a few times, a few of the main icons do
show, hitting on them doesn't work. The other navigation buttons either
don't work or work sporadically. Sometimes, the homepage shows for a split
second, and then start blinking in white flashes. I'm pretty sure that the
MIME type on our server is set correctly, because I've ran the test. So
what else, short of an evil Microsoft spell, could be causing all this grief
for Mac users, but not PC?

Maybe it's because some of my movies have 12-15 characters long filenames?
I thought that Mac was tolerant enough for that, as long as there are no
spaces in the names. Am I wrong here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I've lost all the posts
from my e-mail box. So if you can find some old posts from the Flasher list
that even remotely relate to my problem, please e-mail them to me directly
to nvishnevskyathillier [dot] com.

Thank you.

Nelly Vishnevsky
Manager of Electronic Marketing