Subject: Re: FLASH: Site check:http://www.dentalportal.com/flash/tmj.html
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:50:55 GMT

At 01:09 PM 1/3/00 , you wrote:

>You will get in serious trouble by using scenes, if your movies become a
>little bit more complex, e.g. if you use tell target-commands etc. Instead of
>using scenes you should use the load movie-command. That´s the better choice.
>It splits your movie into many small movies. The user doesn´t have to load an
>entire scene-based movie, he just loads the section, he´s interested in. The
>downside is, that you can´t use symbols from the main movie in the loaded
>movies, that means, you have to load them again. Anyway, load movie works
>smoother.

Hi Kalle,

I agree with you about using scenes but not about Load Movie. There are
some times Load Movie is very well called for, but not in this case. A good
guide in deciding whether to use Load Movie is whether users are invited to
request large blocks of content in whatever order they choose. In this
piece, the only optional content is largely or entirely text, which isn't
too byte-heavy. When a movie is as linear as this one, making it one movie
gives you the advantage of a single symbol library so that symbols don't
have to be stored redundantly as they might with new movies. Since the
bulky graphics are all being delivered in the same order every time, they
may as well load as one movie. Also, if you use Load Movie it is harder to
control loading, and without complex controls designed into the piece, a
later movie's loading could slow down completion of an earlier movie's
Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...