Subject: FLASH: Load/Unload MC query... second try!
From: Bob Shuster
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:35:59 GMT

I posted the following question on Monday and haven't yet received a
response. Perhaps I should simplify! What it basically comes down
to is a question of addressing files accessed by using "Load Movie".
If I use "Load into Target" I know from the various texts that the
loaded movie will take the targets properties. But how do I then
address it? Will addressing the MC it was loaded into call it up?
If not, then how do I address it? - Bob Shuster

>I have a question that doesn't seem to be covered in the now
>multitudinous collection of Flash 4 books that I own.
>
>I have a presentation that comes to a menu at the end of it. This
>menu allows one to choose to view the main presentation (a demo of
>sorts) with a different looping audio track. I had it working with
>TellTarget commands, but this required all of the audio track
>options to be preloaded and my partner and I felt that the filesize
>had gotten out of hand.
>
>I decided to make each of the audio tracks a separate SWF file and
>use "LoadMovie" to get them. This is where I'm stuck. There are
>some basic questions about "LoadMovie" that I can't seem to find
>answers to! Any help my fellow Flashers can offer would be
>appreciated!
>

>1. I assume that when one issues a "LoadMovie" command, that the
>movie loads right there on the spot? I further assume that the main
>timeline will stop until said SWF file is loaded, but that other MC
>timelines will continue? (i.e. I wrote a short loader at the end
>with some animation in it, that will run when the SWFs are loading.)
>
>2. I also notice you can load a movie into a MC instance? I'm not
>sure exactly how this works - once you do this, every time you call
>up this particular instance, will the loaded SWF play in place of
>the MC? (until you unload it?) Or am I totally misunderstanding
>the function?
>
>3. If 2. above is based on incorrect assumptions on my part, how
>would I then call up the already loaded external SWF file in my
>presentation? Once I load it at the end of the presentation, I am
>jumping back to a spot about 2/3's of the way through, where I want
>this SWF to play in place of an already loaded MC.
>
>4. The first time through, I have a MC that plays a default audio
>track. It has 3 sections with labels such as "Start", "Stop", and
>"Off". Each of my saved SWF audio track files has the same
>identical setup - I assume I can address these labels in a loaded
>SWF the same way I address them in the initial MC? Am I way off
>here?
>

>I'm assuming what I want to do is possible, I think I'm simply
>missing the boat on some of the programming aspects of it. I'm sure
>the answer is out there, I'm just missing something here. Go easy
>on me, I'm a graphics guy, not a programmer! :) - Bob Shuster

[ Hot Apple Spider Design - graphic & website design/consulting ]
[ email: BobatHotAppleSpider [dot] com phone: 215-402-0751 ]
[ All work proudly done on Macintosh computers! ]
[ website: http://www.HotAppleSpider.com/ ]

flasher is generously supported by...