Subject: Re: FLASH: [RESPONSE] Recent Flash Player Release
From: Eric J. Wittman
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:59:56 GMT

uniqu writes:
>>However, you leave unaddressed some serious concerns regarding this
defective player. Furthermore, I do not follow the logic behind the security
issue.

According to many online security experts and sites, files/applications
playing back from one domain should not be able to send or receive
information from another domain without the users consent. Imagine a site
where a user password/credit card/social security number, etc. is obtained
on one page and sent to another domain. Or information behind a firewall is
obtained and forwarded to another domain. According to the experts, this is
a no no.

A few online security resources we use as a part of our consulting process
are:
o http://securityfocus.com
o http://packetstorm.securify.com

Hope this provides a better understanding.

A side note, in TechNote #14213 in the Macromedia Flash Support Center, we
do provide the recommended process.

Best,
Eric J. Wittman
Senior Product Manager, Flash