Subject: Re: FLASH: Organic Flash
From: unique
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:59:36 GMT

At the exact moment of 2000.01.26.14.08, her/his local time, Panagos, Plato
<PPANAGOSatjuf [dot] org> put forth:

> Hi All,
>
> When I first saw Flash I fell in love, I was blown away, it blew the doors
> of old static HTML I'd been doing and added the dimension to web sites that
> was desperately lacking. Now that the dust has settled and the gloss has
> worn off a bit I've become a little more objective (read: cynical), now I
> feel that Flash has gotten a little too slick and grown too far from the
> organic bitmap world into clean vector lines that blur from one flash site
> to the next. I understand the limitations of the technology but I am curious
> if anyone knows of flash sites that walk the line between the bitmap and
> vector worlds? I am fortunate enough to have recently accepted a job with a
> company whose entire product line is in Flash and want to have my cake and
> eat it too.

Who doesn't!

Hi Plato,

Flash hasn't "gotten ... too slick and grown too far". It's a matter of what
people choose to do with the tools they have.

Give a kid a drum, first thing he's gonna do is bang on it as loud as he can.
Some never grow beyond that stage; others do. It's the ones that move on to
rhythm, subtle voicings, etc., that end up becoming "professionals".

Frankly I'm pleased that a lot of Flash that's out there hasn't surpassed the
drum-banging stage ... that leaves more space for me and my work!

Sounds as if you're off to a great start, with your attitude, Plato! Stick with
it.

I imagine that you've noticed that the work on the tothepoint site uses bitmaps
reduced to two colors (black and white), and converted to vectors. Reducing a
bitmap to a small number of colors is greatly facilitated by the Preview Export
feature in Fireworks. You can preview up to 4 different versions, so you get to
experiment and compare. And, you can easily "re-map" one color to another one!
(Very cool easy feature.) Try out the freebie, if you don't have it!

I agree with Marc: Hillman Curtis seems to have a good handle on clean,
"moderate" use of Flash. Here's another example of Flash "Minimalism" that I
like ... check out the site itself, plus the second and fourth sites on the
"Examples" page: http://www.redwooddesign.com . Please notice that this guy has
figured out how to do preloading *without* thermometer bars -- a breath of fresh
air.

HTH,

Ken Sherwood

*zenkat: the Flash trailer*