Subject: FLASH: Organic Flash
From: Panagos, Plato
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:26:55 GMT

Hi All,

When I first saw Flash I fell in love, I was blown away, it blew the doors
of old static HTML I'd been doing and added the dimension to web sites that
was desperately lacking. Now that the dust has settled and the gloss has
worn off a bit I've become a little more objective (read: cynical), now I
feel that Flash has gotten a little too slick and grown too far from the
organic bitmap world into clean vector lines that blur from one flash site
to the next. I understand the limitations of the technology but I am curious
if anyone knows of flash sites that walk the line between the bitmap and
vector worlds? I am fortunate enough to have recently accepted a job with a
company whose entire product line is in Flash and want to have my cake and
eat it too.

Examples of what I'm talking about would be the use of video here
http://www.tothepoint.fi/flash/index.html (Organic human motion vs. vector
paths), and sputnik7 dose a nice job http://www.sputnik7.com/ (You don't
look at it and go "Oh another flash site lets learn how to navagate this
one" it's a mixture -- I'ts also a good example of the tecnical limitations
of trying to do both vector and bitmap in the same interface)

Sorry for the rant,

Plato

P.s. I'm on the digest version of this list.