Subject: Re: FLASH: Fw: Re: I have a problem with flash crashing.
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:15:04 GMT

At 01:50 PM 1/26/00 , you wrote:
> I asked our server administrator to add the
>MIME types as suggested, but that didn't seem to help eather. Our
>location is:
>http://216.217.23.66/
>The current symptoms are:
>
>1> It crashes browsers (Netscape and IE) on the local intranet server only.

Runs fine for me: PC Netscape 4.7, cable connection.

>2> Sound doesn't always come through when someone downloads it from
>outside the server.

Most often a symptom of a Flash4 movie (with MP3 sound) being read by a
Flash3 player (not MP3 compatible).

>3> If the presentation dosn't crash it stops or hickups troughout the display.

Usually a sign of an internet connection being too slow to keep up with the
movie's demand for new content. Your bitmaps, unless preloaded or delayed,
might easily exceed bandwidth for modem users. Spread them out or develop
an interesting preloader. To check this, use File>Export Movie>Generate
Size Report. This will tell you what the frame-per-frame byte size is, and
how big your images, sounds, and symbols are. This will suggest where the
bottlenecks are. Figure bandwidth at 2k per second for 28.8 baud modem
usage under typical internet conditions.

>4> Sometimes we are able to view it all the way through, but when we click
>the start button to
>begin the nextpage it says "the browser has performed an illegal operation
>and shutsdown the
>browser.

I wouldn't have time today, but quite likely someone on the list can look
at it if you're willing to Zip up the .fla and put it on an ftp server
(John Croteau has made ftp space available if you need it -- write back for
instructions).

Short of that, I'm wondering if the movie has FS commands. Some FS Commands
are not browser-friendly. A quick look at your html code didn't raise flags
for me, but I only glanced at it.

>We would like to fic these problems before we let our site go public.
>Do you have any suggestions?

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)