Subject: Re: FLASH: 4.0r26 HAS AUDIO PROBLEMS NOW . . . .
From: RedStar
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:11:10 GMT

Daniel, Matt et al.

<acid troll>

The link Daniel gave brings up an html page. This page is blank except
for two lines that read :
testing link and testing link
They are located in the upper left corner of the browser window.
On closer inspection they reveal their true nature, they are cleverly
hidden and disguised links...
So this is one thing you should learn Daniel, next time you post a link
for anyone to test please give it in a more direct way, you can't expect
us to know what a hyper link is !
For the benefit of all Daniel should have given
http://www.manelylabsflash.com/pro_mu.htm
or even better
http://www.manelylabsflash.com/pro_mu.swf
</acid troll>
<warning>
The above site DOES NOT have the proper mime type setting for Flash
Movies ! Very naughty !
</warning>
<note>
This type of test should be done with full knowledge of what's involved.
</note>
And now for my comment.
Using version r26 of the flash plugin the sound from the movie contains
a lot of background static. This could of course be a desired effect. To
do a proper test I should know what the original sound should feel like.
So I did the next best thing under the circumstances.
I went to the browsers cache and opened the swf file in the standalone
player. What a difference no background static at all.
OK let's do a quick swap. Replace the r26 version with an older version.
Reload the page and no, no background static. Reinstate the r26 version,
yep there's that static again.
Conclusion :
As I didn't read the 14218 tech note and I'm assured by a Macromedia rep
that no problems have been found with sound involving r26 and as I don't
want to sound to basic I chalk it up to one of those case where we run
into problems from time to time. So the static is being produced by
gremlins that live and is purely coincidental with the presence of r26.
As a side note I did run a test on sound containing flash files that I
happen to have around and would you believe it, they all show static
when played via r26 ? Well such is life...

.redstar.