Subject: Stalling in Download
From: James Kozick
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:32:28 -0000

A client asked me to create a Flash movie that included several vector text
screens and bitmap jpegs. I used Flash 4.

Due to the bitmaps, it's a pretty hefty 216K movie. Occasionally the movie
stalls in the download and doesn't complete. (It appears that the download
streaming stops and will not restart.)

I found that if I brought the jpegs into Flash at too low a file size they looked
blurry after compression in Flash. (The jpeg compression setting was at 50 in
the Flash exporter.)

Other than tossing out a bunch of the jpegs, any other suggestions on preventing
a movie like this from stalling?

Also, is stalling a result of file size per se or that the server may have been
too busy with this streaming demand, went on to other downloads and never
returned?

Thanks!

James Kozick
Pacific MicroMedia
Olympia, WA

jamesatpacificmm [dot] com (mailto:jamesatpacificmm [dot] com)