Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Dimensions question
From: Dorian Nisinson
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:20:42 +0100

Hi Steven,
To use Dimensions generated files you have to be prepared to do a lot
of editing once you have imported all to Flash. If you export from
Dimensions as a raster or draft mode, you get a series of bitmapped
images which must be hand traced in Flash or the size of the swf will be
huge and it will play slowly.
If you export as postscript, you will indeed get an enormous number of
symbols and a mask layer in each one. These need to be edited a lot. All
the gradients will show up in Flash with a group for each band of each
color. This is not an efficient use of Flash. The gradients all need to
be ungouped and combined into an outline and then have Flash apply it's
own gradients which are much smaller in file size.
Better still, you can try changing all the mask layers in each symbol
to regular layers. Then filling them with the appropriate color in Flash
and deleting all the other layers from each symbol as you convert the
mask layer. This might be a more streamlined approach, though no one
would ever call it anything but labor intensive.

Dorian