Subject: Re: FLASH: & Framesets - MM where is this tech note?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:33:32 +0100

At 6:02 PM 7/26/0, Blair D Wilde wrote:
> I'm looking for reference to flash talking across frames in a frameset.

There could be a couple of things you're looking for... how to send
messages, how to catch messages, how to troubleshoot sending and catching
messages, background on which browsers let players send messages... might
be talking about the cross-frame or cross-window restrictions some browsers
have, too. The general keyword for all these topics would likely be
"javascript" in the Flash technotes.

The URL you referenced wasn't a technote, but was instead a post-release
article by the documentation group. Some of these changed during the
site-redesign. I don't know of a wish-docsatmacromedia [dot] com address (although
I've been buttonholing people about such a thing for some time).

Have you gotten the basics of scripts and plugins talking together in
various browsers yet? That would be the first step, before adding frame
complications. (Remember that not all browsers offer this ability, so if
you're just *contemplating* such a project, you may wish to use a simpler
navigation structure that would be supported by more browsers.)

Sidenote: Terry Schussler recently came up with a new hack in this player
intercommunication area... instead of asking the browser to catch messages,
he uses the Shockwave Player's built-in MultiUser Xtra in peer-to-peer
mode... he has multiple player instances talking directly to each other,
without needing the server or the browser to pass messages. Kinkiest thing
I've seen all month.... ;-)

jd