Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Flash 5 & QT (is: Flash & Shockwave)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:32:44 +0100

At 10:40 AM 7/27/0, Michael@BTW wrote:
> However, a much more elegant solution would be to allow video files
> to play through swfs (in a similar way to shockwave: the video file
> still depends on the user having the appropriate plug-in).
> This will never happen to avoid diluting demand for Director...

Take this for what it's worth, but from what I see in the shop, the Flash
development team feels fine about offering features similar to those
already offered by Shockwave. They have to: if we didn't cannibalize
ourselves, somebody else would. ;-)

(The increase in scripting abilities is a great example... some early XML
and HTML abilities, chat sockets and textfields are among other examples.)

With each new version of each tool, the area of overlap between them
changes. Each team is trying to find the best value proposition for its
customers. The overriding principles still apply, though: the Flash Player
is trying to increase its universality and omnipresence, while the
Shockwave Player tries to deliver the widest range of advanced abilities to
desktop computers.

(Please see my previous post for some of the actual technical and
production issues involved behind the video play-through scheme already
implemented in the Shockwave Player.)

jd